Escaping the main road in the Eifel region
July 2022, we took off with a crew of six for a three day bike packing trip.
Gravel bikes where chosen to escape the main road and explore the outdoors.
Taking off on Friday evening from the Eupen lake at the footsteps of the Hautes Fagnes.
From there a first stage to Rurberg Germany at the Rursee.
A typical curry wurst, some drinks and a good night in a B&B.
Stage 2 took us all around the Rursee going from the lake upwards a few times towards Monschau. One of the most touristic towns of the region but perfect for one night.
Along the way a few challenging climbs but all doable especially if you take your time.
Riding on corniche gravel paths with amazing scenery over the lake is worth the effort.
Some coffee on the top thanks to a Bialetti and mini campingaz equipment.
Going back down got us a nice swim on a remote shore of the lake.
Stage 3 took us in the most remote area of the trip crossing some large forest south-west from Monschau, amazing valleys and hidden gras fields between pine trees.
On our way back we crossed the most beautiful gravel stretches on the Hautes Fagnes with a stop at the Peak brewery for lunch before riding back down to the water dam in Eupen.
Some things we learned or got reminded of
- That there is so much to explore close to home
- That the Eifel and Hautes Fagnes region is amazing
- That you can pack light when you book a stay in a B&B meaning you don’t carry so much with you
- That riding with gear drops your speed a bit on the uphill but isn’t necessarily harder
- That making rather short stages gives you more time to enjoy the trip and have a stop every once and a while
- That when riding gravel or bikepacking you quickly forget about your average speed
Images by Bastien Gason